The earliest record of a church or chapel on the site is before 1230. The tower dates probably from the 16th century. The rest of the church was rebuilt in 1865–67 to a design by the Lancaster architect E. G. Paley.
The church is constructed in sandstone rubble, with a slate roof. Its plan consists of a four-bay nave with a clerestory, north and south aisles, a south porch, a north transept containing the organ chamber, a chancel at a lower level, and a west tower. The tower is Perpendicular in style, and has three stages, diagonal buttresses, and an embattled parapet. On the west side is a doorway, over which is a three-light window with Perpendicular tracery. The bell openings also have three lights. On the south side of the church is the porch, with four bays to the east. The bays are separated by buttresses and each contains a three-light window with Perpendicular tracery. To the left of the easternmost window is a priest's door. Along the clerestory are four windows. The east window has three lights with Perpendicular tracery. In the west wall of the north aisle is a blocked Norman doorway containing a tympanum carved with human figures. It is filled in with coffin lids and medieval cross slabs.
- 8am - Holy Communion
- 10:00am - Parish Worship (with creche) and Sunday Club for children in the Church Hall
- 6:30pm - Evening Service
- 10am - Holy Communion